HEALTHY KID TIPS:
These tips are brought to you by Waked Children's Hospital:
- HYDRATE: Did you know that more than half of your body weight is composed of water? When we play or work, our bodies lose water through sweat. Replenishing fluids by drinking lots of water is key! Whether you are playing competitive sports or just out riding bikes with friends, keep a water bottle handy and drink often. Don’t wait until you are thirsty. By drinking plenty of water, we keep our bodies happy and fueled. Make water your go-to beverage!
- STAY ACTIVE: Turn off the devices and go play. Phones and other digital devices are fun and often educational but too much screen time leads to bad habits. Limit screen time and have kids wind down and turn off the electronics before bed to ensure a good night's sleep. And most importantly, get moving! Have kids aim for 60 minutes or more of physical activity every day to keep hearts strong and minds refreshed.
- SWIM SAFELY: Spending time in the water is fun. Just make sure you are safe. Enroll your child in swim lessons! And remember never leave a child unattended around water. An adult should always be nearby. Children should never be further than an arm’s length away from an adult. And when you’re outside or in the water remember to wear sunscreen. Apply 30 minutes before getting wet and remember to reapply often. Keep it fun. Keep it safe!
- EAT HEALTHY: Are you eating a rainbow? Remember, healthy eating is colorful eating. Fruits and vegetables help you grow strong and healthy! Add them to every meal and get creative. Peanut butter plus celery plus raisins equal ants on a log, and broccoli plus ranch equals snow on the trees. Use your imagination and have fun! But remember food is fuel, so make healthy choices to keep your engine running clean and strong.
With Wakemed Hospital's Families First, you can subscribe to a vast amount of useful information to keep you and your family healthy and safe. With numerous classes, events, and helpful information, stay up-to-date at all times with the ease of subscribing!
Want more from WakeMed Children's Hospital? Check these activities out!
Be a star and commit to the WakeMed Children’s Twinkle Challenge!
It’s five simple steps that will keep you healthy and safe. Submit a photo of you participating in each challenge pledge to earn credit in the contest register below.
I pledge to:
- Eat Well-Balanced Meals: Eat a variety of different colored fruits and vegetables.
- Hydrate: Drink plenty of water before, during, and after play.
- Wear a helmet: Always wear a helmet and other safety gear when playing sports, riding bikes, or skateboards.
- Protect your skin: Apply sunscreen before heading out so it has time to dry before you play.
- Unplug, Read & Relax: Take time away from the TV and other devices to discover the joy of reading.
INTERESTED IN A DIGITAL SCAVENGER HUNT?
Across the Virtual Kid Expo, you can find yourself participating in our digital scavenger hunt! WakeMed Children's Twinkle the Star is placed on our website 5 TIMES. Find all of his locations, click the button below and enter where you found him! Winners will be eligible to win prizes, so get searching!